This is the blood gas result for Melanie Slater from scenario SIG001US
- 28-year-old woman presenting with shortness of breath
- Patient identifies presentation in keeping with previous acute asthma episodes, with a clear precipitant.
- Effective inhaler use with shortness of breath now resolved.
- Looks well, normal physical examination, no wheeze.
- Sample type: arterial
- Supplemental oxygen: no
- paO2: 91.7 mmHg
- paCO2: 36.1 mmHg
- pH: 7.43
- Bicarbonate (HCO3-): 23.9mEg/L
- Base excess: +1.4
- Acid-base balance: normal
- Other parameters: normal
- All parameters were within normal limits on this blood gas.
- The low-normal paCO2, high-normal pH and normal base excess would be consistent with a mild or resolving acute respiratory alkalosis, such as that commonly found in acute asthma.
101 Arch Street, 8th Floor, Boston, MA 02110, USA
201 Borough High Street, London, SE1 1JA, UK